<Transport <Advice
bringing a vehicle into ecuador
Transport in Ecuador

You used to need a carnet de passage en douane for Ecuador, a type of passport for your vehicle which requires you to pay a deposit equal to the value of your car to the automobile association in the country where the vehicle is registered. The law was changed in 2004 so you don’t need the carnet now (in fact you don’t need it anywhere in the Americas). However you could still be asked so you should print the relevant laws to be able to show the customs official.

Shipping a vehicle

Ecuador seems to be pretty renowned as a nightmare for customs bureaucracy, especially in Guayaquil. Therefore it seems that if you are planning to ship your vehicle the best thing you can do is contact an agent to extricate it in a reasonably short period of time.

If you are shipping a motorcycle you should consult www.horizonsunlimited.com/community. The local contact is Ricardo Rocco who might be able to help you with contacts, especially in Quito.

The customs agent you use will probably say he has to grease a few palms but try to spare a thought for those of us who live here and still dream of a reduction in corruption and try to avoid paying officials who ask for money.

Here are some links to other useful websites.



The Ecuadorian automobile association is called ANETA www.aneta.org.ec. You could contact them for advice although I don´t know how much they will help.


About US | Contact Us | LINKS | Advertising | Site Map | Terms and Policies
Copyright © 2010 Travel and Live in Ecuador. All Rights Reserved